Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snow and the South


This week, the South was hit by a massive snow and ice storm, shutting many large cities down, simply because they do not have the removal equipment that most Northern cities have on hand. Schools were closed from Tuesday through the end of the week, as were many stores, restaurants and businesses in various other industries.

Growing up in the North, I'm used to driving in this type of weather (and I would venture to guess many others in the region do as well, as many are transplants from the North.) However, I have enough common sense to know NOT to get out on the road when snow AND ice are in the mix. I wish others in my city possessed the same level of logic. We had many accidents and folks stuck on roads, reminiscent of the Atlanta debacle just about a month ago. Our city, county and state officials jumped right to work when they knew the storm was on its way, and for that, I'm thankful. We do not have a shortage of leaders lacking in common sense when it comes to severe weather hazards.

Now, as the snow is melting and the sun is out, I've fallen prey to the "I-just-want-to stay-home-in-my-pajamas' rut, even though the roads are completely clear.  I've gotten comfy with showering and changing from one set of pjs to another, and working when I want. I have a list of things to accomplish, all outside the house, but I am seriously lacking in the motivation sector. And now its the weekend, which makes me even less motivated to be productive. Sad, but true.

So, moral of this story? Too much of a good thing, is not a good thing.

Monday is right around the corner, and like many I'm sure, I've got to right this ship and get back on course to be ready for a busy week, post- #snOMG.

Forecast for next week here in the Carolinas: temperatures ranging from low-50s to mid-70s.

Welcome, Southern Springtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment