Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Lessons Were His Gift To Me: Dwayne Burno's Legacy of Expression

Its been just over 57 hours since learning the tragic news of the passing of my friend and jazz master bassist, Dwayne Burno. I know many, like me, have been going over memories of him in their minds, recalling conversations, performances, dinners, family gatherings, etc. We all have our experiences and memories with Dwayne. We're all dealing with his passing in our own individual ways. There isn't a right or wrong way to grieve. It just is. And that's ok. 

Talking through my own personal grief over Dwayne's passing with my family & friends, I am able to process and come to a realization about who Dwayne was to me and the blessing he was in my life.  And what his life taught me ABOUT life. 

I don't know about you, but I hear his voice in my heart and I see his face when I close my eyes, and I think of him when I am listening to jazz and I hear the bass line. Its amazing that I am experiencing all of these levels of remembrance, and I was only in his presence 3 times. But once you met him, he left an indelible mark on your spirit. Throughout the past almost 6 years, I would check in on him since he had faced various health issues, his kidney transplant, and most recently issues with his heart. He was one of those people you just always kept tabs on every couple of weeks either by phone, text, or instant message. One thing that always amazed me about him and his dedication and love for jazz, was that for years he traveled around the world, lugging all of his medical equipment while on dialysis. He didn't go anywhere without it. And yet, he never let it stop him from living or making beautiful music. 
That was lesson #1. Don't let obstacles get in your way of pursuing your passion & purpose. Keep at it, every day. No matter what the situation looks like. 

Lesson #2: Never let time pass by without telling those loved ones in your life how much you love and appreciate them, because you never know when your last conversation with them will be. I found out all too well this past week, when my final conversation with Dwayne was on Christmas Eve, and we exchanged Christmas wishes. I told him Merry Christmas and that I loved him much, at which he replied 'Love you too, CAT. Merry Christmas.' 

In May, Dwayne posted this on his Facebook wall:




Seriously, y'all. Make, take, borrow and/or steal the time to let those you love know in life rather than posthumously exclaim and proclaim your adoration. Doesn't mean s*it when you can hear or enjoy it.

He knew the importance of expressing love and appreciation to those people in his life who he loved. He did it freely and without obligation. He did it and he meant it. Every word. Every time.  He wasn't afraid of the words "I love you." Because he meant them, genuinely, sincerely. We, too, must not be afraid to say those 3 powerful words. They can change someone's life. It doesn't have to be a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend. If you care about someone, tell them. You may not ever get the chance again, so make the most of every opportunity. Time is short. We're not guaranteed tomorrow. Dwayne understood this, I believe. 

Dwayne Burno will not only be remembered as a master jazz musician, with his unmatched knowledge of and skill in the art of jazz, composition, history and technical ability, but also his passionate pursuit, dedication and expression of humanity. He was the embodiment of Life, Love, and all things JAZZ. 


Nothing stopped him from living or making his beautiful music. For me to embrace that in my own life would be the greatest acknowledgment of the gift he passed to me. 

As memorial plans get underway, you may donate directly to the family through the Jazz Foundation of America. Please make donations either online at: 
JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA 
OR 
MAIL A CHECK IN HONOR OF DWAYNE BURNO TO : 
Jazz Foundation of America
322 West 48th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10036. 
(212)245-3999

1 comment: